Sunday 1 October 2017

Famous Last Words

SHARE

“I see that you have made three spelling mistakes,” remarked the Marquis de Favras when he read his death warrant.

Coming across that quotation reminded me of that I once collected last words and must find and publish online my collection. Here are one or two.

These are the last words of King Frederick William I of Prussia, the father of Frederick the Great. A Lutheran clergyman was giving him the last rites and said


Naked came you into the world and naked will you go out
when the King opened his eyes and uttered this valediction:
Not quite naked, for I shall be wearing the uniform of a Field Marshal of the Brandenburg Royal Guard.
Talking of German Field Marshals, Blucher's last words move me.
“Nostitz, you have learned many a thing from me. Now you will learn how to die.
Here are two more.
Well, gentlemen, you are about to see a baked Appel.
George Appel, executed by electric chair in 1928.
Now comes the mystery.
Henry Ward Beecher, an American preacher

For the last words of British Prime Ministers please click here.

And on the subject of death, these haunting words of Walter Savage Landor.

    "There are no fields of amaranth on this side of the grave: there are no voices, O Rhodope! that are not soon mute, however tuneful: there is no name, with whatever emphasis of passionate love repeated, of which the echo is not faint at last."

No comments:

Post a Comment